Sunday, April 20, 2008

Harvesting from the Firth

You may be expecting a long meticulous description of my few days sorting bugs in the lab, but although that endeavor was complete on Friday I will spare you momentarily from the account of those gruesome days spend crouched over a microscope. Instead, I have skipped ahead to this weekend, which was well deserved time-off. Saturday was truly a day of rest. I slept in until 9:30. Yep, that is sleeping in these days. I cooked myself a freedom-toast breakfast. I worked on some bone carving and just shared some nice conversations with friends. The evening was warmed by the first campfire since the draught. Good times.

This morning I woke and headed next door to Brian and Beryl’s house with Max and Tom. After waiting out the morning winds, we headed out into the Firth of Thames for a little fishing. Some rough waters greeted us on the trip out to the 27 m line, the local fishing hotspot. We got a few fish there, including my first Snapper about 20 cm long, nice fish. After a bit of a lull, we hit up the mussel beds and made our day there. All said and done we caught 17 snapper and 5 kahawai, or cow-eye of legal limit; that is over ten pounds of fish once filleted.



It was such a great day out on the water and such a wonderfully delicious feed after a day of work.

Stayed tuned for the academic stuff, which is sure to consume most of my waking hours in the last few weeks of the program. Hopefully I will have time to experience another weekend excursion before my time is up.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Zack,

You're looking good!!!!!!!!!
A day of fishing - one of your most favorite things.
I'll have to show Joanne tomorrow. She will enjoy this entry.

Luv, Mom

Mom said...

I just showed Joanne. She soooooooo appreciated your catch.
She Loves Fishing (Crabbing is her favorite)!! She lives right on Lake Quonnipaug.
We are looking forward to going to Boston for the weekend!!!!!!!! Joanne, Susanne, Charlene, and me.

Take care, Luv again Mom