Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fran's First (and Probably Last) One...

Along with Zachary's request for me to insert a few photos from my side of the trip, I thought I could also give some of my input.  I feel like I've already told these stories a hundred times, but now putting them in writing will make it official and allow any to enjoy.  Throughout the 24 hour trip over to New Zealand, I had many thoughts running through my head.  As Zack mentioned, one of them was literally praying Zack would listen to my request and make it to the airport on time, along with a few other worries that friends and family put into my head (what was I going to eat, where would I stay, would I be provided with bathing facilities...)  However, I tried to push these anxieties to the back of my head and focus more on the adventure.  According to Zack my will to attempt new things and be spontaneous and willing may not have shown as much as I think it did.  There are many things that I did in New Zealand on vacation that I would never even imagine doing in my everyday life.  For those of you who know me well, not planning the trip step-by-step and not knowing where my next destination was, is a big leap out of my comfort zone.  But knowing my brother, and trusting him to care for me and keep me safe, I completed the unnatural for Fran's normal life.  To start our trip, we promptly went bungee jumping without hesitation 5 hours after arriving in a new country.  What a great way to see the amazing sights...from above.From here you can see the whole gondola that brought us up the mountain to bungee and the green cover in the trees is "The Ledge" we jumped 47 m from!  From what I recall, I don't remember feeling that nervous about our first hitch hike.  I was more curious about how the process actually worked and how open the locals from New Zealand, the Kiwis, were to strangers feeling they could be part of this certain transportation method.  Luckily, this first journey brought us to the cutest town of Wanaka.  Zachary and I watched the sunset form atop a hill and then proceeded to the quaint movie theater. 
 

The first "city-type" area we went to was Christchurch.  Not at all what I expected to see in New Zealand.  Most places are quite rural and full of friendly people.  But the few busier places we went to felt out of place, like we weren't in NZ anymore.  Like Zachary said, he was not in the mood to go out and hang at all that evening, so instead I went out with a girl from the Kiwi Experience Bus who I met in our hostel.  She introduced to many of her friends and helped me learn the proper ways to order drinks from a bar.  She got a hoot out of the fact that although she was a year younger than me, she could drink at home (Scotland) legally and I sadly, could not.  Our next stop was Kaikoura, which for many reasons became both our favorite parts of the trip.  We did fun, and somewhat cheap stuff during the day, saw the greatest views, and had a grand time at night with other travelers and many village natives.  I too found my favorite beer at the Strawberry Tree Beer Garden..it is called Mac's Sweet Red Cider (mmm mmm good!).  I had a ball meeting so many different people with different backgrounds the night of Zachary's jam session.  Well, to start from the beginning the whole day was one to remember.  Starting with the night before at quiz night, then the sunrise in the morning, then our meeting with Tai to learn of the culture, our tour and tasting through the winery making us feel mature and learn many interesting facts about the process of making wine, the cave tour, and finally our night of festivity at the bar.







You know those vibes you get from people and situations that make you feel uncomfortable and know something is just wrong.  (Mr. Spiritual should understand this...)  While waiting for a ride to pick us up from Kaikoura, I got that vibe.  I just knew it wasn't going to work.  So I got anxious, so Zachary got frustrated and there began our main tiff of the vacation (but what kind of siblings don't argue and have their differences).  Finally, Zachary gave in to his sister's will and we went and hired the bus and then ferry all the way to Wellington.  Oddly, uneventful for a Friday night.  Surprisingly, and opposing to our culture, Kiwi's tend to work hard and party hard all week, and then completely isolate themselves from the world on the weekend.  It is truly 2 days of rest and time for family together at home.  For a bit Zachary and I occupied ourselves with games (my favorite!) at the hostel's bar.


Rotorua was also a lot of fun.  Probably number 2 after Kaikoura...giving us a great mix as a touristy fun spot with a dab of culture and education.  White water rafting was a blast!  And, under the circumstances I was put in, I am not humiliated or horrified with the fact I was the only person out of about 14 to fall off the raft.  The rear steerer misjudged the fall and had us go down with the starboard side (where I was located) too close to the edge, Zack and I were able to laugh more than ever while Zorbing, and then also learn a ton at the Tamaki Buffet dinner and show.




The final leg of our trip returned us to Zachary's EcoQuest campus to see some people once again and pick up the remains of his possessions.  One night we spent at the Miranda Hot Springs Campground where we were able to swim in a naturally heated pool by the springs even though it was their autumn.  We also got the biggest bag of chips (french fries) for dinner, for wicked cheap.  The next night Zachary's chef/friend from EcoQuest was nice enough to put us up.  And I apologize publicly for not liking fish...my reason for choosing chicken figers, which by the way were superb.  We then headed into Auckland for the last 2 nights before coming back home.  We found a few things to do in town before our final excursion of heading to Tiritiri Matangi, the bird sanctuary.  It was a very beautiful place and I learned a lot about what Zachary is interested in.  It was a fabulous way to end our time together.  

This trip was definitely an experience of a lifetime.  I am so glad that I took this opportunity, because I am sure it will not come up again anytime soon.  After meeting all the other travelers on my journey, it makes me want to tour the world, including our own country, more.  I am already beginning to plan a few more trips abroad throughout my young life.  I want to be sure to do all I can before it is too late.  I feel there is no better time to travel than when I am young, jobless, and already in debt!
Thank you Zachary for allowing me to join you at the end of your travels.  I truly appreciate all you showed me and allowed me to explore.  My only hope is that I can return the favor in  a similar fashion and open your eyes to some of my likes and desires.

2 comments:

Z said...

Thank you Fran for your addition to my blog. Your personalized twist of our stories is sure to spur a bit of discussion for the observant readers of this blog. I will abstain from any rebuttal as we have both agreed on the fundamentals; it was a trip of a lifetime that has changed the both of us forever.

Mom said...

Fran,

You Amaze me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your entry is AWESOME!!!!!

Luv, Mom