Saturday, May 9, 2009

Heidelberg, Germany

(7 May 2009)



Although it was a challenge to stay awake today through the jet lag, it was great to finally see where Maria spent the majority of her childhood. It was also wonderful to see Julie once again and be welcomed into her home. Highlights from today include getting my instalation access pass into the military base, touring Heidelberg Castle being rebuilt from WWII distruction and housing the largest wine barrel I could ever imagine,

the solar boat tour down the Rhine,


Hauptstrasse shopping,




and my first encounter with doner kebabs and snitzel (pork cutlets with any fixing you could imagine).


I am only in Europe a day and have already been awed by the sites, flavors, and opportunities of small town Europe. What will happen when we reach the big time?
---------------
(8 May 2009)
It is a German / European tradition to relax in the thermal pools. In Baden-Baden, the Caracalla Therme is filled from natural mineral water and then heated to various degrees. Folks go to bath, get rid of the impurities in the saunas and take therapy lessons in the specialty pools. It was certainly relaxing, but also extremely dehydrating. I drank so much apple juice when we got home. Dinner was spent in St. Lucious, where Maria's house was during high school. The Akropolus was delicious. I have never had liver and onions that melted so readily in my mouth. We then went to the Lengends bar on base to participate in line dancing. It was fun, but that new country song "Lord of the Bible Belt" was a bit much for me, a little America to remind the troups of home.
---------------
(9 May 2009)
Today was spent preparing for Maria and my graduation / engagement party. It should be a great time meeting all of the most distinguished families on base while enjoying fajitas, margaritas, and some drinking games Julie has contrived. Tomorrow we celebrate Mother's Day and then catch the 14:15 train to Amsterdam. I have no idea when I will get to a computer again, but in that time I am sure to come up with some more great stories.
Until next time,
Zack
P.S. German beer gets an A!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice haircut

Z said...

Thanks! Maria did it just before the trip.